Facebook is the biggest of all the social network platforms, by far, based on just about every measure. In this post, Hootsuite lays out current Facebook statistics—updated for 2021—that prove this enormous platform is still a must for marketers in almost every sphere.
Let’s explore 22 Facebook stats that will matter to marketers this year. Some will surprise you!
General Facebook Stats
- Facebook has 2.74 billion monthly active users!That’s an increase of 12% year-over-year from September 2019. With a global population approaching 8 billion, this proves the importance of incorporating Facebook into your marketing strategy. There’s simply no other platform that offers this kind of reach.
- Facebook reaches 59% of the world’s social networking population.It’s the only social platform to reach more than half of all social media users.
- Facebook is the world’s third most visited website!It’s outranked only by Google and YouTube. When people spend time online, there’s a good chance they’re spending it on Facebook.
- Facebook is the second most downloaded app. And Facebook Messenger is number 7. Only TikTok beats Facebook for downloads.Again, this indicates how prevalent Facebook is in our day-to-day lives, whether on the web or on our phones.
- Facebook turned 17 years old in 2021. Mark Zuckerberg launched the first version of “The Facebook” on February 4, 2004. Most high-schoolers have never known a world without Facebook. There’s no doubt that in those 17 years, Facebook has firmly established itself as the place we get our news, learn about new products, and communicate with friends, family, and businesses, as you’ll see in the Facebook statistics below.
Facebook user statistics
- 57% of Facebook’s audience is male. Surprising stat! 43% is female. (Facebook limits its gender reporting to male and female.) For comparison, Instagram is almost equally split between men and women.
- 32.4% of Facebook’s audience is aged 25-34 That’s the largest audience segment by age. How surprising is that! The next largest group is aged 18-24, representing 23.5% of Facebook’s audience. Only 4.7% of Facebook’s audience is 65 or older, and only 5.8% is 17 or under. The takeaway is that 55.9% of Facebooks audience is between 18 to 35! For all those out there who say the younger demographic aren’t on Facebook. The younger demographic may use it differently, but they are still there!
- 95% of the U.S. population over age 12 is aware of Facebook Who are the 5% who have never heard of the social media behemoth? Good question.
- 63% of the U.S. population over age 12 uses Facebook While almost all Americans know about Facebook, about two-thirds of the population actually uses it. That metric is however down from a high of 67% in 2017, but up from 61% last year.
- Only 8.9% of Facebook’s audience is in the U.S. Another shocker! Yes, we just told you the majority of Americans use Facebook: the network reaches 190,000,000 users in the United States. However, compare that to 310,000,000 users in India. The vast majority of Facebook’s audience lives outside of the United States.
- The fastest growing region for Facebook is the Middle East and Africa (13.6%) That’s followed by Asia at 10.7%. Facebook is also still growing in Europe and North America, and saw 8.7% growth globallyin 2020. However, Facebook is actually losing users in Germany, Japan, Switzerland, and South Korea.
- 83% of Canadians have a Facebook account That’s the top social platform by far in Canada. By comparison, 51% have an Instagram account. Trying to reach Canadian consumers? Facebook allows you to target 83% of them.
- Facebook users spend 34 minutes per day using the platform eMarketer had predicted a drop in time spent on Facebook in 2020, but the pandemic changed that. What are Facebook users doing during those 34 minutes? Read on.
- 79.9% of Facebook users only access the platform on a mobile device That means they never access Facebook on a computer. By comparison, only 1.7% of Facebook users only access the platform on a computer. And 18.5% of users access Facebook from both a mobile device and a computer. When planning your Facebook ad placement, consider which devices your particular audience is most likely to use.
- 80.5% of mobile Facebook users access the app on Android Only 14.3% use iOS. This is likely related to the small percentage of Facebook users who live in the United States.
- 36% of people get news from Facebook That’s the highest proportion among social networks. There’s an important discussion happening about Facebook’s impact as a source of news, and it’s one all businesses should keep tabs on. But for marketers, it’s also worth considering what this Facebook stat says about the network’s value as a platform on which to announce new product launches, campaigns, or collaborations. If there’s a newsworthy angle to something you’re working on, make sure your Facebook followers know about it.
- 1.3 billion people use Facebook Messenger That’s 23% of the world population over the age of 13! And they’re using Messenger to communicate with brands. There are 10 billion messages sent between people and businesses on Messenger every month.
- 1.8 billion people use Facebook Groups And there are tens of millions of groups on Facebook.Businesses and brands can create Facebook Groups of their own to interact with existing fans, or explore ways to connect with potential customers through existing public groups.
- Facebook Dating has created more than 1.5 billion matches Facebook’s opt-in dating section launched in September 2019 and recently expanded into Europe.
- An average Facebook user likes 12 posts per month That’s one almost every other day. The average user also makes five comments and shares one post every month. Posting compelling content that encourages engagement will help ensure you get your share of those likes, comments, and shares.
- 96.3% of Facebook users use at least one other social media platform 90% of them use YouTube, 73% use Instagram, and 52% use Twitter. Keep in mind that you can reach your audience across multiple platforms with remarketing. Installing the Facebook Pixel is a great place to start.
- 54% of American social media users say Facebook is the platform they use most often Yes, they’re using other social networks, as we just showed you. But Facebook is the one most people use most often. Only 16% say they use Instagram most often, and 5% name Twitter as their most-used social media site.
Manage your Facebook presence alongside your other social media channels working with our team of professionals. Get in touch with us for your free consultation.